Monday, July 26, 2010

Smurfs

On Saturday we went to see Beezus and Ramona. It was wonderful. Everyone should go see it. Just be warned that there is a bad word in it.
The previews made me think about my nieces and I decided to blog about it. There is actually a movie about Smurfs!!! I have to wonder why, because they weren't popular for very long and there can't be that many people nostalgic enough about them to want to go see a movie about them. I wonder if Pam even has much memory of when they were popular. My girls don't.
Sometime in the very early 1980's I flew with Popi and Grandma in Popi's little plane to visit the Bailey's in North Carolina. I got really sick and I threw up in front of Carianne-something that happened quite often when she was little. She admired me, so she thought throwing up was really cool.
One of my memories from that trip is the little Bailey girls begging Popi to buy them some Smurfberry cereal. Popi kept telling them no because he said they wouldn't like the way it tasted. They kept begging and finally he gave in and bought them some. I think it was supposed to be blueberry flavored, but I think it just tasted like dark blue food coloring. It was awful. I think the girls ate it anyway, because it was supposed to be smurfalicious or something. Marketing worked again.
I do remember that Beckie had decorated the girls room with a Smurf theme-complete with Smurf sheets and curtains. Charming.

4 comments:

Heather said...

Bella and I are going to see Ramona and Beezus on Saturday. I read her Ramona The Pest so she is beyond excited to see the movie.
I thought it was pretty funny they are making a Smurfs movie as well. I will probably take the girls to see. I loved the smurfs and my smurf bedroom! LOL!

Annemarie said...

there is really not a bad word

Julianna said...

There seriously is not really a bad word! :)I have no idea about smurfs.

Grandma Bailey said...

Their room changed the next year to Care Bears because I found some fabric and bedsets for practically nothings. It stayed that way for years. I had forgotten the Smurf bedroom because it was only that way for about a year. I can actually get little Smurf figures. Anyone interested?