Monday, April 18, 2011

The Gutenberg Project


If you have a Kindle, Ipad, or other reading device, do you know about the Gutenberg Project? It has thousands of free books available for download.
Two of my favorite free authors are Baroness Orczy and Frances Hodgson Burnett. Orczy not only wrote the Scarlet Pimpernel books, but also many other books that are fun to read. Burnett wrote a lot of adult novels that I really enjoyed. The plot lines are unexpected, but always involve people who make themselves and those around them better. I think my favorite so far was "A Woman of Quality."
Today I downloaded "Struwwelpeter",a german children's book. (It's actually kind of gruesome, but it is a memory from my childhood, so I wanted to read it again.) I am reading "Alice in Wonderland" in german and I am surprised how much I like the story.
Anyway if there is a book you have want to read but can't find it at Amazon.com, try the Gutenberg Project.

1 comment:

Heidi Noel said...

Andy loves it because most of what he studies is on there. I want a Kindle so much but can't decide of a Nook is better. It will be a while anyway.