Thursday, March 1, 2012

Pride and Prejudice


I have been reading my favorite book again. It has been my favorite since I was about 14. When the Colin Firth movie came out, I was literally obsessed with it. Then, I was a little annoyed because now everyone seemed to be in love with Jane Austen and seemed to be a Jane Austen expert even though they had never read the book.
I have read Pride and Prejudice more than any other book except the Book of Mormon. I have not read it for a few years, though, because I wanted to be able to forget some of it, so there were at least a few surprises and fresh delights as I read it.
Annemarie just reread the book and we watched the movie last week, so I decided I would read it again.
Now, I want to tell you my new discovery. I have wondered which version of Pride and Prejudice (Colin Firth, Kiera Nightly) was more correct in portraying Longbourn. In one version it is a tidy, well-kept place. It the other it is run down, dirty, and a little messy. I just discovered the answer and it is an answer I like.
When Lady Catherine comes to visit Elizabeth at Longbourn to secure her promise not to marry Mr Darcy she sits with the ladies for a few minutes in the sitting room and then she asks Elizabeth to take a turn with her in the park. Elizabeth agrees and "As they passed through the hall, Lady Catherine opened the doors into the dining-parlour and drawing-room, and prounoucing them, after a short survey, to be decent looking rooms, walked on."
If they had been run down and untidy Lady Catherine would never have found them to be decent looking.
I have a long list of reasons why the Colin Firth version is more true to Jane Austen. This is perhaps a minor one, but I have thought about it a lot so I was glad to find an answer.

4 comments:

Julianna said...

Oh that's good! I like the Colin Firth one better. I am reading Persuasion still but then I will read Pride and Prejudice again.

pambelina said...

I used to read Pride & Prejudice every spring, but I too haven't read it for a few years. I'm re-reading Emma right now, but plan on reading P&P as soon as it warms up a little and I can do it while sitting outside!

I always consider it our family book because we all love it! Some of my favorite memories are watching the A&E version with our family.

Grandma Bailey said...

My most favorite memory of watching the Colin Firth version was watching it the day after you recorded it and Christina singing or humming the music - perfectly. When I asked you how many times she had heard the music, you said, "Once." She amazed me then and amazes me now.

Cari said...

My mother in law and sister in law watched the end of the Kiera Knightly version, and have now decided they want to watch the entire movie and my Mom in law is now reading the book! It makes me laugh that after 15 years of me 'nagging' they've finally caught the bug!