Wednesday, April 18, 2012

My Diamond-lost and found

I went to the temple today. During the session I looked at my wedding rings and thought how much I like them.
This evening Frank and I went to Costco. After shopping, Frank stopped to get gas.
As I was waiting in the car, I noticed my diamond was gone. I was sick. I got out of the car to show Frank. He said I scared him because I looked so sick.
On the drive home, Frank said he would buy me a new big diamond, if I wanted. He said it was surprising the ring had lasted 32 years.
When we got home, I put my hand in my pocket and the diamond was there. I am so thankful. I may still get a new diamond ring, but I do love this one.

A funny related story happened in December. Frank and I went into Jared's to look for a Christmas present for the girls. Some of you may know that I wear Omi's diamond ring on my right hand. One of the sales girls looked at my ring and Omi's ring. She told me that the prongs on Omi's ring were worn thin and the diamond was about to fall out, but my ring was just fine-nothing to worry about. I looked at Omi's ring closely and concluded that there is still plenty of gold holding the diamond. After my diamond fell out it was clear to me that two of the prongs were completely worn out. I am pretty sure the sales girl just concluded that Omi's ring was older and therefore more worn out. She told me it would be $300 to fix it. If it costs $300 to fix my ring that is more than we paid for the ring originally.

So, what do you think? Should I fix it or get a new one? I am so thankful to have my diamond back, though.

5 comments:

Julianna said...

Was Daddy quoting Ricky when he said he would buy you a new, big diamond?! That is so scary I am really glad you found it. I don't know, if you want a new one you should get a new one but if you want to fix it you should fix it! Isn't it funny that we were just talking about your rings the other day?

Grandma Bailey said...

I just had my prongs replaced when they were wearing thin. The ring was the one I was married with. I might get another completely different ring eventually but this is the one I have had for 40 years. That is my feeling anyway.

pambelina said...

I have one of Omi's other rings and Chris had the prongs replaced on it. Even though (with my additional baby weight) I can't wear it I'm glad it was fixed just so I don't have to worry about it (and to preserve it). That being said I think you should do whatever feels right to you!

Kathy and Don Carter said...

I lost the diamond in my wedding ring in the grass at the Palm Desert Cal State SB campus about 8 years ago. There'll never be another ring like it but Don bought me a band of diamonds which I also love - but I wish I had that diamond!! It was a sparkler!!

Funny, I was going to Google "Omi diamond rings" then I remembered you did some of your growing-up in Germany and who "Omi" must be. I'm a ditz!!

I say get your ring fixed and enjoy it for the rest of your life. Something new won't be a fair exchange.

Kathy and Don Carter said...

PS. I forgot to tell you - I LOVE YOU!!!