Sunday, March 15, 2009

Let There Be Peace on Earth

Today in Relief Society the lesson was about how Joseph Smith said we should make peace with those around us. (Yes, even those who would mock our sacred ordinances.) It was a good lesson and for the closing song we sang "Let There Be Peace on Earth." The teacher passed out papers with the words on it. Of course, I didn't need the words. I was sitting next to a young sister in her late 20s. As we were singing she leaned over to me and said "I have never heard this song before." I was shocked! When I was a teenager that was an extremely popular song. I don't often feel so old at church. I have often thought that once you are an adult in the church, age doesn't seem to mean much anymore. Not with this song!
I wondered how many of my daughters and nieces know the song. I would guess that perhaps Carianne does, but probably no one else.
I think it is a great song, but maybe the Miss America pageant has made "world peace" sound trite. Anyway, those are my thoughts-what do you think?
Another great song I heard recently goes, "I want to be happy, but I won't be happy, till I know you're happy, too."

4 comments:

Sara said...

I know that song!

Grandma Bailey said...

What an interesting choice for a closing song? I don't think I have even thought of that song for years but it does bring back the memories. We love you

Heidi Noel said...

I know both of those songs. I miss Relief Society sometimes, but love my calling.

Cari said...

I know the song!