Friday, April 10, 2009

Quiet Books

Since Pam wants to make a quiet book and Heidi expressed interest too, I will give a few suggestions. I do have a lot of patterns. The problem is I don't know where they are since we moved. I will keep looking for them. When I find them I will scan and post them.

In the mean time there are some really good ideas on the internet. Google lds quiet book pattern. You will find two links there that will be really helpful. One is at theideadoor.com and the other is at mormonchic.com. Google it first and then click on the link because it is hard to find the quiet books if you go directly to the web site home pages.

The idea door suggests making the quiet books on heavy pellon. I made mine on muslin and I think it is probably more durable. Otherwise she used a lot of the same methods I did. Tracing pictures with a Sharpie and then coloring it with crayons works really well. Be sure to iron over the crayon with a paper towel over it. This sets the color into the fabric. For more intense color you can color it with the crayon again and iron it again.
I also suggest sewing a thin ribbon to each separate piece and attaching it to the page so pieces don't get lost.

An idea for some pages would be to use transfer paper to put photos of family members onto muslin and cut them out. You could do a family tree page. And a page with your immediate family-perhaps with a simple drawing of your house or of your city in the background. (You could do this with photo transfer paper, too.)

Dutch isn't old enough yet, but Heidi could us some of her kids artwork as background for some pages or even have them draw on the muslim pages and add her own elements to it.

I will add more ideas when I find my patterns. Let me know if I can help.

2 comments:

Cari said...

So awesome - I'm sad that mine are too big to use these now. I miss you!

Heidi Noel said...

You would think so, Cari. However, I helped Aunt Marianne do Christina's and I loved it. Just making one with them for someone else (like Victoria or something) could be fun.