Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Another Journal Entry

It has been a couple of weeks since I last posted one of Carolyn's journal entries. I will remind you that Sara needed cataract surgery.

April 1, 1992 (she actually wrote 1922, but I am pretty sure she meant 1992)

Time is going too fast. It will soon be a year since we came to Manti.

We have had lots of company again Don and Kathy Lind were here a week ago. (Don Lind was an astronaut and one of Popi's best friends.) They stayed to Mon afternoon. I took Mother to have her eye done on thursday-Then John, Annette and Rebecca came on Sat this week-stayed til Sun night-Monday I tended the little girls (Katherine and Samantha) Then Tue Bill and Polly came It looks like now the weather is nice we will have more company.

Mother had her surgery on Thur-we came on home because we finished by 1:30-We went back the next day all is well now but she was slow to recover-It worried me because by Sunday she still could not see anything She has been blind in her right eye since she was in college. So when we operated on the left eye and took the sight from it with the swelling she was totally blind. Her cataract was so dense it was solid brown- It took 7X as much to get it out as normal so she was more swollen than usual. She is seeng better each day now.


What amazed me about this journal entry was that I never knew my grandmother was blind in her right eye. She NEVER mentioned it. She complianed about her feet-they hurt all the time-but in general she was not a person to complain. I asked Popi how she lost her sight, but he couldn't remember. I just find it ironic that my maternal grandmother was blind in her right eye, my father is blind in his right eye and I am blind in my right eye. I must say that Omi was an amazing and wonderful person.

3 comments:

Grandma Bailey said...

All I can say is the more I find out about Omi, the less I realize I know. She is and always has been my hero. I know that basically her feet were crushed because of a car accident so they did hurt all the time. Mom said it was miracle she was walking. I think about that every time I have a hard time walking becaus of my knees. If Omi could walk in so much pain - so can I.

pambelina said...

Omi is my most favorite person in the whole world. There is no one as amazing.

Heidi Noel said...

I was going to say that I didn't know Omi could only see out of one eye. She reminds me a lot of Pollyanna like Mom said.