Friday, December 12, 2008

Carolyn's Journal: Archie can see again


Dec 18, 1991
This has sure been an exciting time since I last wrote.
We went up to SLC and saw the doctor he said arch had nothing to lose by having an operation-He was so blind- We went to the motel where we stayed before but it was full So we went to a Hotel-even closer to the hospital it was University Park Hotel it was $155 a night but only $62 because archie was going to the hospital-the room was lovely real big we ate there and the food was wonderful
There was no beds ready at the VA hosp so we ask if we could go to the hotel-So Arch stayed with me-on thur we went into the Hosp about 9:30 and they operated about 11:15-It went perfect John Fruhan came and stayed with me during the operation-I took arch back to the Hotel about 3pm he was all bandaged etc-But the hotel was so much more comfortable than the Hosp the Dr let him go to the hotel. Fri morn we went to the VA at 7am the doctor saw him took off the bandages and he could see 20 40 It is a miricle because medically they could not expect so much. We just can't believe it He can drive, read-he could fly and do surgery. A real mirickle in our life.
He is having a little trouble this morn-I hope it is not infection.
We have our tree up and the hous is decorated-But its hard to be excited about Christmas when so much has happened. We go back to LSC tomorrow to see the doctor


Of course, I really enjoyed this entry because I have recently gone through cataract surgery myself and it is wonderful when you haven't been able to see and then you can again. Popi's recent surgery for glaucoma was also a miracle that helped him ragain his sight once again.
I have to comment on mom's spelling and punctuation. Mom always struggled in school-she was never more than an average student. Her spoken English grammar was perfect, but she struggle her entire life with writing. Every time she wrote the word "miracle" she spelled it differently, but she never spelled it correctly. (I have two other things she wrote where she misspelled it.)
I take inspiration from this because I know what a successful and accomplished woman Mom was. I have no doubt that if she had been a career woman she would have been very successful. It eased some of my worry as I raised my daughters because I knew that even they were not at the top of their class that they could still be successful in life. If my daughters turn out to be anything like Carolyn, I will be thankful.

3 comments:

Cari said...

Thank you so much for doing this. It helps me feel close to Grandma as Christmas approaches. I love you!

pambelina said...

It's so funny because I never realized Grandma was bad at spelling and punctuation, etc. Like you said, she always spoke so well that I always assumed she wrote with the same manner of precision.

It's nice to learn new things about her, and remember old ones.

Heather said...

I never knew Grandma was bad as spelling and I am very surprised about that. Thank you for these entrys I love learning more about her.