Saturday, December 27, 2008

Family Ties that Bind and Lift Us Up

It has been an incredibly busy week for me. We had a big family party last Sunday with Popi and Grandma Doreen, Pam, Chris and Dutch, Samantha, all my kids except Julianna, and some other people. We had a wonderful time and I realized how important those family ties are-they are so much more than just knowing someone. We went to SLC to witness a baby being sealed to his parents on Tuesday. Again, I knew how important family is.
On Wednesday all of my kids were here again. Samantha called and asked if she could come and spend Christmas Eve and Christmas with us. Later, she said she didn't want to because she was sad and didn't want to ruin our Christmas. I called back and asked directly, "Is Cyrus there?" and she said," No." Of course, I went and picked her up immediately. It was really the first anyone knew that there were problems. We were delighted to have her and Santa managed to find her at our house and bring some gifts and a stocking. We had a wonderful day, but sometime in the afternoon, Samantha finally called her family and told them what is happening. She was so sad and I went and held her and held her and held her and she sobbed and talked to me. I was so sad for her, but again, I was so thankful for family and that someone was there for her. I have not known Sam very well in the past, but suddenly she became another of my "almost daughters." I know I felt inspired because I kept feeling like I needed to encourage her to call her mother. That seemed a little weird to me, but it turned out to be the right thing. Susanna gave her good advice and encouraged her to call her dad and Popi. The decision they made was to get Sam into Snow College and help her get settled. That way she is moving forward with her life, but if Cyrus is willing, she is close enough to work things out. (Clearly, from small details I can tell that this whole thing is NOT Sam's fault. I have been very impressed with her maturity and testimony.)

Now I need to tell you about a wonderful experience I had at church last Sunday. It is the beginning of all of my feelings about family this week. I had a worry about someone in my family, but it wasn't something I could really take care of myself. I had been praying and praying about it. Sacrament Meeting was all about angels. A lot of it came from Elder Holland's talk on that subject. It was not just about the angels associated with the birth of the Savior. It was about how angels are there to help us and bear us up and they will be on our right hand and on our left hand. Then the thought came to me that my mother was there with me and that she was helping with the problem that I was worried about. I felt her presence as surely as if she was sitting next to me. I couldn't hold back the tears. After church I found out that everything had been resoved in a beautiful way. I know there is nothing in the scriptures that say our family members are our angels, but it seems logical to me, and I KNOW my mother was there. I did not want to go to sleep that night because I didn't want that feeling to go away.
I know my mother and Omi and others are there to help each of us and our children. They are helping Sam right now with a serious problem, but I am sure they are also helping us with our daily problems. I love my Heavenly Father so much and I am so thankful that He has given me this special gift of having my mother this Christmas Season. I love each of you so much.

3 comments:

Grandma Bailey said...

When Mom was dying I actually told her she would be of more help as an angel than she was sick and dying. I knew Grandpa LuDeal and Omi had been there for a couple of days to help her but she wouldn't go. I finally read all the scriptures I could find about ministering angels. I explained how much her grandchildren needed her as a ministering angel. Each of our daughters or grandchildren have had experiences with her or Omi. I have been quite down and suddenly smelled Mom's perfume in the room or been overwhelmed with something and known she or Omi was there helping me. We are truly blessed.

Heidi Noel said...

I was able to go to the temple on Tuesday and I always feel Grandma there. I know she was there on Tuesday and I felt very loved. I will pray for Sam.

Cari said...

I am so proud that you are my aunt, and so thankful for such amazing women like you in our family. What an incredible legacy my daughter has to look up to! I love you, and I miss you so badly this time of year that it hurts.