Sunday, December 14, 2008

The Secrets to Perfect Spritz Cookies

I always make spritz cookies at Christmas, but mine have never been quite as good as Mom's. I couldn't find her recipe this year, so I went online and did some research. My cookies were so easy and came out perfect. The recipe is from the Food Network, but I know Mom's would be just as good (maybe better) following the tips I learned. Actually, I think this recipe must be very close to Mom's. If you want Mom's I am sure Beckie has it. She is definately the "Keeper of the Family Recipes."

The tips that really helped me were these:

1. The dough should be very soft.
2. Chill the cookie sheets. This makes the dough stick to the sheet instead of the cookie press, so you don't end up with big globs. Turn the knob of the press exactly the same amount each time.
3. I always use parchment to make cookies, but DON'T use it for spritz cookies-the dough won't stick to it.
4. When you take the cookies out of the oven let them sit on the cookie sheet a few minutes before moving them to a cooling rack.

These tips are pretty simple, but, for the first time ever, all of my cookies turned out perfectly. And they are delicious. Here is the recipe I used:

Butter Spritz Cookies

Ingredients
1 cup confectioners' sugar
2 sticks unsalted butter
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 teaspoons baking
powder
2 cups sifted flour
Sprinkles for garnish

Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
In a mixer with a paddle attachment, add the sugar and the butter. Mix until light and fluffy. Add the egg, vanilla and almond extracts and mix to incorporate. Sift together the baking powder and the flour. Add the flour mixture. Mix until combined. Using a cookie press, press cookies onto ungreased cookie sheets. Top with the sprinkles of your choice. Bake for 5 to 8 minutes, or until firm, but not yet browning.

Copyright © 2004 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved




4 comments:

Heidi Noel said...

I always loved these cookies, but since i don't have a cookie press have never made them. Someday...

Cari said...

Where can I find a cookie press? I want to make these with Carlye, I know she'd love it!

Grandma Bailey said...

First of all that is Mom's recipe exactly. She never used the almond extract but added more vanilla instead and used salted buttter instead of unsalted (these are her notes).

Cookie presses can be found online if you can't find one at Walmart or if you aren't heading into San Antonio and can't get to a Bed Bath and Beyond. Presto (if they are even still in business) makes the best one but someone was telling me that Betty Crocker had a pretty good one.

Cari said...

Carl and I went on a date to SA today, and I found a Wilton cookie press at Target for less than $10. I can't wait to make cookies!